Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pinterest Test Kitchen Part 3

How on earth did I ever plan meals without Pinterest?  It is now the first place I go when planning our weekly meals and all I have to say is hallelujah!  We're finally having something different for a change.  Here's just a small dent in the 132 recipes that I've pinned.  (Yowza!)

Fluffy whole wheat biscuits.  This is a standard biscuit recipe (not sure how fluffy they were though) but we will be making them again!

Veggie Sweet Potato Burgers.  I have to admit I felt like a total foodie making this and when the hubs got home he was like, "WHAT is this?"  It's a burger honey.  Made out of sweet potatoes.  And although it was not his favorite, I quite liked it and so did our kids.  Thanks for humoring me babe!

Shepard's Pie.  I'm wondering if this is a regular meal at homes across America, but I'd never made it before. It was good....and a lot of work.  So I'll keep it around but I don't think I'll make it unless I feel super adventurous.  Also I feel like it's more of a fall or winter recipe.

Crispy fries.  This recipe is the only one in the bunch that was kind of a bust for me.  I think soaking the fries works well in keeping them crispy, however, there was just SO much seasoning on there that it was a little too much.  Not my favorite, but I can see how some out there might love it.  I'm going to keep searching for the perfect homemade fry recipe because we do love them.

Stuffed Peppers.  This was more a favorite of my husband's and mine, rather than the kids, but only because it's a little hard to eat that pepper when you can't cut your own food.  Delicious, nonetheless.

Honey roasted almonds.  You know that smell at the mall during Christmas time when you walk by the almond vendor and want to die it's so good?  You can have that in your house.  So yeah, make this right now!

Hawaiian haystacks.  I know this is probably another pretty common dinner for most people, but we've never had it at our house!  Not anymore, as we will be making this one again and again.  Our kids totally devoured their plates and wanted seconds.  I think one of the reason's my 3 year old loved it is because she got to "build" her own haystack.  That makes this recipe a keeper in my book!

Summer vegetable tian.  This was delicious.  And so pretty.  Such a nice parting from our usual broccoli or cauliflower veggie.  I will definitely make this again (we omitted the onions on the bottom and I just put a few flakes in there).

Homemade french bread.  The only bad thing I have to say about this is that it didn't exactly taste like french bread to us.  At all.  But it was good nonetheless, and we used it for a few meals so it was great.

The taco ring.  Sounds a a little shady, I know, but this one we really liked.  The kids absolutely loved it.  So much in fact that I am already going to be making this one again.  And I had enough leftover beef (from just a 1 pound package) that we used it for burritos the entire weekend.  Yum.

Next up, homemade tortillas.  I made tortillas from scratch!  They were so good too.  If I had the time, I would always do this because they were pretty easy and so yummy!  I did use half wheat bread/half all purpose and they still turned out well.
What did I make with those homemade tortillas?  These chicken enchiladas.  It's a pretty standard enchilada recipe but we loved it.  Delicious!







2 comments:

  1. of course i don't know your husband, but dang. i can't believe you got him to eat a sweet potato burger. i'm 99% sure that chuck would NOT even touch it.

    when i think about my days as a home with all my kids in school, i always dream of doing a huge batch of homemade tortillas. it's like the epitome of all the loveliness of being home alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL these look like good choices from Pinterest! Thanks for linking them up in the pinterest saturday hop. I don't think I know your pinterest name. Feel free to pass your link to me and I"ll follow you! susie ps...i have this post a pin in meal planning board

    ReplyDelete