Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Worst Disease in the World

Ok so maybe my title is a bit dramatic.  But oh what a week we have had.  Last Tuesday we had an appointment with the pediatrician for my little one's 2 year check up.  Shots were traumatic as they always are and we had a quick Target run on our way home.  Seriously I could go there once a week and buy a few things browse (I did get a new hat--for vacationing purposes hon!). Shoot to a few hours later and bud is on the couch feverish, broken out in spots, and in pain.  I was on the verge of completely panicking, thinking he was reacting to the vaccines so I called the nurse.  It was about the most pointless phone call I have ever made ("He gets eczema? Oh yeah it's probably that then." Gee thanks lady.  For nothing.) and I hung up feeling more frustrated than ever.  We get through the next day (thank goodness for Ibuprofen) and 2 doctor's visits and 3 trips to the pharmacy later and what have we got?  Hand, foot, and mouth disease. Which cannot even be treated by items I got at the pharmacy.  People this stuff is no joke.  My poor boy is covered in blisters and sores.  All over his hands, between his toes, and weirdly enough insides of his elbows and knees.  Sis has a mild case of it as well.  All I can say is we are on day 8 and it feels like we are never going to get out from under it. Thankfully both kids are in good spirits, but I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever.


I wish it were possible to douse my entire house in a big bowl of Clorox.  Have you ever had to deal with this little virus?

PS-Since I wrote this things are getting a bit better.  But the healing process is taking forEVer.  

4 comments:

  1. ick ick ick. i'm so sorry! we had a very mild case when started day care. but it was nothing compared to this. again, so sorry. reward yourself with something when you're all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry. We have been trying to get over a case of thrush (which is nowhere near as painful but annoyingly persistent). My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so so horrible! My friend in CA's 3 kids got it for a full week and were also throwing up the whole time- I guess that's a symptom sometimes. It just sounds so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie had it when she was about 9 months old. It was aweful! It was in the middle of the night and she was screaming, hence...our first trip to the emergency room! When they told me what she had I about died. I swear that has to be the worst name for a virus ever!!! Good Luck, His hands look so sad!

    ReplyDelete