Friday, January 27, 2012

Testing

You've seen the cookie blogs taking over Blogland right?  There are tons of cookie blogs out there--cookie decorating blogs specifically.  These cookies are gorgeous, works of art you can eat.  I tried my hand at the royal icing technique about a year ago for my son's birthday party and wanted to try again for Valentine's Day this year.  My technique isn't quite up to par so I thought I'd better do a test run first.  My favorite cookie blogs are Bridget and Callye, their work is simply jaw-dropping amazing.  I use Bridget's icing recipe, it has worked pretty well for me thus far (but I always double it).

Once you get started it becomes quite addicting!  There is nothing prettier than a wet flooded cookie:


This one was SO excited to help.



Not sure if I have enough pink sprinkles (how did that happen???).


 One of my favorite techniques is to outline the cookie, then let it dry for about 10 minutes.


Take each color of flood icing and outline your shape starting from the outside in:



Then drag a toothpick up and down across the width of the cookie.  You'll end up with something like this:

The cookies turned out great and I have more confidence to be able to actually give these away.




 And something tells me Grandma will like this one best:

Thanks for your help little one. :)

Linking at Tatertots and Jello and Hoosier Homemade.

1 comment: